If you’re planning a long distance cycle adventure like riding from Lands End to John O’Groats, preparation is important. The planning of such an enormous undertaking is often as fun as the activity itself. There are so many things to consider and overlooking something could mean that the journey is not as enjoyable as it should be. spent years dreaming of cycling end to end and then months planning it
Here are some tips that may be helpful:
- Plan your route: There are several different routes you can take for this journey, so it is important to plan your route carefully. You can either follow the most direct route along main roads or take a more scenic route along quieter roads and cycle paths. Consider the terrain, weather conditions, and your fitness level when planning your route.
- Train for the journey: This is a long and challenging cycle trip, so it’s important to be in good physical condition. Start training well in advance, building up your endurance and strength over time. You may also consider consulting with a cycling coach or personal trainer to help you prepare.
- Pack appropriately: You’ll need to bring all the necessary gear for the journey, including a good quality bicycle, spare tubes, and repair kit, appropriate clothing for all weather conditions, food and water, and a map or GPS device.
- Consider accommodation options: There are plenty of accommodation options available along the LEJOG route, including campsites, B&Bs, and hotels. Plan ahead and book your accommodation in advance, especially if you’re traveling during peak season.
- Pace yourself: This is a long journey, so it’s important to pace yourself and take regular breaks to rest and refuel. Listen to your body and adjust your pace as needed to avoid exhaustion or injury.
- Stay safe: Always wear a helmet, follow the rules of the road, and be aware of your surroundings. If cycling alone, consider sharing your route and plans with someone else, and carry a phone or other means of communication in case of emergency.
- Stop along the way, and take note of what is around you. Talk to people and soak up the unique changes that traveling the length of the UK presents.
- Enjoy the journey: Lands End to John O’Groats is an incredible journey through some of the most beautiful scenery in the UK. Take time to appreciate the stunning landscapes, historic landmarks, and local culture along the way, and enjoy the sense of achievement when you finally reach John O’Groats.